So here's Jane's main mode of transportation---the sling. I started experimenting with making slings a couple weeks back (I played around with pouches for a while, but decided I didn't like them nearly as much). Jane hangs out on my hip; Jane sits in front in the kangaroo carry; Jane goes tummy-to-tummy with Mom; Jane even rides piggyback. These slings are fantastic! They're kind of pricey on the web; that's why I started sewing them. They're my new baby gift. Before giving them to friends, I bought the sling rings off the web because the craft rings that you can find in Michael's, etc are not meant to hold a baby's weight.
And what would be worse than giving someone a sling and having their kid crack their noggin because the ring broke. Liability, anyone?? The new rings came last week, so I pulled out the little used sewing machine and got to work.
I love it. She loves it. It makes life a little easier. Not that taking care of Jane is a huge challenge, after being a mom to a 10 and 8 year old, I have re-evaluated the seemed difficulties of baby-mothering. Taking care of a baby is not easy, but it certainly is a whole lot simpler than being a mom to older kids. Which makes me suppose that being a mom to even older kids will make tweens seem simple. So is that how it goes? At the very least, the perspective has made having Jane around a very pleasant experience. I wish I had that perspective back when Maddie and Meg were little, but that's the tricky thing about perspective--- you only get it after the fact.
Thursday, March 08, 2007
Sling low, Sweet chariot
Posted by
Sarah
at
11:11 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I told someone when we first "got" Isaac and Sadie that I could not wait for them to grow a little older..."they would be a lot funner if they were older," I said. He said, "they might be funner, but they are a lot easier as babies." I didn't believe him. Nights awake. Diapers. Constant eating, etc. I have learned how right he was...when they were babies, they couldn't run away, say no or have an opinion. Perspective, ah, perspective.
I am impressed. really. I carried Skylar in the Baby Bjorn 15 hours a day, everyday. It's the only way he wouldn't cry. I am thinking a sling would have been much more comfortable. ah, next time. Cute fabric too!
I am a little afraid reading your blog today...I can't imagine my life being any more um...challenging? than it is right now (with three little ones). I'm scared.
wow. you are really crafty.
Hi,
I'm new to your blog...found it via IVFC....I have 6 month b/g twins and LOVE your sling. Do you sell them? I would be interested in purchasing one...or two. =) My email is lesleysmeshly@gmail.com. My blog is www.barrbabies.com
Thanks!
Post a Comment