Friday, March 16, 2007

Notes on a Friday

There is this firefox add-on called "Stumble Upon" that both Mark and I have added to our browsers It is an amazing time waster, but with it, you stumble-upon all kinds of interesting stuff across the web. The best part is that it continually tailors itself to your likes and dislikes (you rate webpages and fill out an interest form at the start) so that you're not being directed to sites that do not interest you (or are inappropriate). The longer you use it, the more custom it becomes. Eventually, it recommends other stumble "friends" that you would seem to share some interest with. I've had stumbleupon on my browser for about six months and just last week it popped up with a list of "friends" for me. Guess who topped the list? A user name El Scorcho, who just so happens to be . . . . Mark. Pretty funny. I know we're compatible, but I didn't know even the web would come to the same conclusion.

It's Friday afternoon and I'm having a hard time getting into the household tasks that need to be done. For some reason, the coming weekend makes me want to bag all the outstanding chores and just sit and read a book or anything else just purely indulgent. So I did. I am reading Deep Storm, which is the book that Mark was waiting to read after my parents finished it. My mom gave it to me yesterday, but I kind of kept it for myself. It is currently hidden under my pillow and I plan to wrap it up by Sunday and then pass it on to Mark then. Sneaky me . . . He reads nearly as fast as me, but does so in shorter stretches, so it works much better if I get the new books first. I really need to get to the library and pick up some new reading material--we're scraping by as-is. There are two books I have on hold-- one is Eldest, the second in the Eragon series. Of course, it is Madelin who is infatuated with Eragon at this point. Unfortunately, she is 42nd in line for the book and I told her I wouldn't buy the hardback copy; so she is waiting. I have been waiting for over 4 months for the new Cliff Janeway (bookman's wake series)novel. There must only be one copy or it got lost or something. I have never waited that long for a book on hold before. And there is a new Jack Reacher novel (author--Lee Child) coming out in May. That one I will buy if there is a long wait. I want to go back and re-read the whole series again. That series was a fluke that I found in a random library trip and Mark and I both love it. It's like when I found the J.P Beumont series and had to read all 13 books (or so . . ) after finding one of them. I need a new series to catch my attention like that. Suggestions?

I've wasted enough time; I need to go clean the bathrooms because we are hosting a bunch of youth up for a youth conference from Las Vegas. They're not so messy; I clean all the bathrooms every Monday; I just have to make sure they're swept and stocked and so forth. And then think about dinner-- I never feel like cooking on Friday night, but we went out last night for Madelin's birthday, so I feel sort of obligated for both health and money reasons. I wish there was a dinner fairy.

2 comments:

stace said...

look at you miss scrapbooker.

Michelle & Steve said...

I love the facelift to your blog. Do you have digital scrapbooking software? Let me know how you did it...I've got a few of those CDs...