Thursday, February 15, 2007

Burning down the house

We had a bit of a kitchen incident this week. Tuesday morning, I had left for the gym, the girls left for school, and Mark had just jumped in the shower. Apparently, one of the girls put a waffle in the toaster and forgot about it. The toaster must have jammed because when Mark got out of the shower, the entire kitchen was filled with smoke. The waffle had gone up in flames and in the process, completely fried the toaster. I could even smell the smoke as I drove into our cul-de-sac and wondered where it was coming from. We have been airing out the house since then and even did a special anti-smoke fogger from the cleaning store. It is getting better, but my kitchen still smells like a fire restoration project and I guess it is clear that we need to check the smoke detectors (which DID NOT go off!!!) I have my fingers crossed that improvement will still continue because I do not want to have to repaint the entire kitchen. Smoke is a bit more destructive than I thought; quite the bummer for my new home. I guess we should just be grateful the kitchen didn't catch on fire and I guess we needed a new toaster anyway.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Wow!! That's kind of scary! Sara is always really good at making us go around the house just before we leave anytime just in case we have left something on. I have to say that i'm glad that she does. Good thing nothing more serious happened!

stace said...

yeah, look at the bright side--a new toaster. Awesome. That is totally worth the kitchen.

Michelle & Steve said...

Were you guys talking about new toasters at Christmastime? I swear, I remember someone talking about giving one for a gift or something...

Sarah said...

yep- and I guess we should have bought one then; it would have saved us some grief.