I've been going through old scrapbooks for pictures (it's for a project I'm working on . . . shhh!) and have realized a few things. First-- I am a terrible scrapbooker. I always knew that the pages I put together for Madelin and Megan were mediocre at best, but looking at them now, it is a bit embarrassing. Really. They're pretty tacky. It's a relief that I stopped when I did (I only scrapbooked through Meg's first year). I also realized that I recorded way more stories, pictures, updates for Madelin and hardly anything for Megan. Very sad. I'm going to make a better effort with Janie--there haven't been a lot of milestones, cute stories, etc to share in the first 4 months. Kids are pretty stationary at that point; but in the coming year, I want to make sure that I write things down this time around. The last (and most poignant) thing I learned was that as impossible as it is to imagine your 4 month old as a 10 year old, it is almost just as hard to look at your 10 year old and really remember them as that baby. Kids are a compilation of the years and you can't go backwards. There were pieces of Madelin and Megan that were present from the beginning, but most of who they are at this age has been a process of becoming. It is probably good that we can't stop time, because as parents we would probably "freeze" our progeny in their childhood and just imagine what we would miss out on.
3 comments:
Wow, that is really profound, Sarah.
Really, though, I have already forgotten stuff about J and he is only two. It makes me sad. I try to keep a journal for him, but even then, I know I miss too much stuff.
Deep thoughts . . . by Sarah Weston.
I look at Skylar everyday and try to remember what he was like at Piper's age. I can't. It's all so fleeting. I wrote down everything with him...I haven't written anything for P. I barely remember anything before Christmas anymore.
I would love to see your old scrapbook pages though...:0)
Post a Comment