Monday, April 09, 2007

Skipping Easter

We don't really skip Easter, but we pretty much skip the Easter Bunny at our house. For some reason, I just never incorporated the Easter Bunny into our family dogma. I don't mean to sound self-righteous; I am pretty much the only one I know who doesn't do Easter baskets for their kids, but I just never got into the whole Easter Bunny thing. It is not even a childhood hold-over, because I did have Easter baskets growing up. I think it is just something that Mark and I both agreed not to bother with. Mark calls it mini-Christmas, with all the candy and toys that kids collect in their Easter baskets. As cute as it is, it really does seem to have gone to an extreme in the last few decades. Remember when all kids got was some jelly beans, peeps, and a chocolate bunny? Now it is clothes, toys and Bunny sundries that cover 4 whole aisles at Walmart. I buy into all the Christmas excess, but I am taking a stand on Easter. It is just not for me. We do always dye eggs and have an easter egg hunt (with candy), but the girls have always known that we are hiding the eggs, not a mythical bunny. Madelin and Megan don't seem to notice any lack of parity in the process, so I just continue to go with it. I brought up the topic at dinner yesterday (ham, nauvoo potatoes, rolls, of course!) and it started a sweet conversation on the Savior, the atonement and the resurrection. I asked Madelin what her favorite part of the Easter story was and she said it was when Jesus appeared to Mary Magdelene. She said it showed how important the Savior must think women are to appear to Mary first. Go girl power!

Of course, now I sound a bit judgemental about Easter hoopla; but really, I still find it all cute, just not for me. I probably take more slack for not venerating the Easter Bunny than I actually give out. But I'm no Mr. McGregor . . I still know all the words to "Here comes Peter Cottontail", I read Watership Down 4 times, Jane regularly hears me sing "Little Bunny Foo Foo" (but he's such a naughty bunny!) and our copy of Pat the Bunny needs replacement. Bunny ears to all.

5 comments:

stace said...

I am with you on this. Douglas and I were discussing it and it just seems so trivial to cover up the meaning of Easter with the Easter bunny and hoopla. I tried not to bring up the Easter bunnny idea with J although I made him a little basket and we had an egg hunt. It is fine if he always know we do it. What is the deal with a bunny bringing eggs anyways. They don't even lay eggs...

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

You guys are weird!

Michelle & Steve said...

This sounds like Easter at our house. Sally asked where the Easter Bunny lived, and I said, "Right here. Mom and Dad get to be the Easter Bunny. We'll hide the eggs and you can find them." She still wanted to call us Easter Bunnies for the rest of the day, but all the Easter bunny did was hide the eggs and lay out the Easter dresses. I like it that way.

Rebekah B. said...

Who's the Easter Bunny? A lady in my Sunday School class said, "The Easter Bunny is just creepy." I agree. No Easter Bunny here, either.

Rebekah B. said...

What is a dogma?