Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Indulge me

I was putting Janie to sleep last night, thinking that I really needed to write down more about her, how she is at this moment, because it changes so quickly. Plus when I go back and read what I wrote down about Madelin and Megan at that age, it makes me all mushy and happy inside. Who doesn't love a baby? Jane has already dropped some of the jane-isms that characterized her just a month or so ago. Some I am not sorry to see go (such as her Munch-like wide-mouthed surprised "O"); others I miss. She used to growl, but has abandoned it. It was one of those things that are pretty much only interesting to a parent, but nonetheless, we got such a kick out of it. She would put both her hands in the air (like a little bear) and grrowwwllll. Over and over again. And of course, Mark and I and Maddie and Megan would all growl back at her. And it would go on for much longer than necessary, but we loved it. I meant to video it, but didn't.

Another little trick she picked up was her coyote howl. I have a mild version of it on video, it sorta demonstrates it. Again, mostly just entertainment for family members, I know, but since this is my blog, I can indulge myself. Janie would lift up her head and purse her lips and howl.



Jane must have an animal theme, because her latest imitation is a pig. And it is pretty much the funniest. She had her first cold last week and started sniffing and snorting to clear her nose. She must have liked the feeling because since then, she has scrunched up her nose and snorted for sport. She'll readily imitate anyone who snorts at her. This clip is shorter; I got wise and edited it down.



And then there is the head bobble and Stevie Wonder dance--but I'll have to document that later.

None of this will last; and I don't want to forget. One of my favorite moments, still, is when I am downstairs, rocking and feeding Jane. She can hold her own bottle, but really never does with me. From the beginning, I have always tucked her right arm underneath mine and cuddled her head and cheek next to my chest. She then likes to have her blanket grazing her cheek and grabs either my finger or the blanket with her other hand. From that position, she is looking right up at me with her eyes and just sort of melts into me, as she drinks her bottle. And that's baby love. She has gotten bigger, but that's the one thing that hasn't changed. How sad it will be when she no longer needs a bottle, or wants to be rocked. But at least if I write this down, I will remember. Sweet Jane.

2 comments:

Michelle & Steve said...

Sara and I were reading up on your blog tonight. Darling pictures of the baptism. We couldn't get the first video to work, but the "pig" one was so funny! What a cute baby! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

She is so cute! It's amazing how big she's getting. Not to take away from Jane, do you guys know about the Weston Union Deadline? Shawn's taking it to print this weekend. You need a blurb of one highlight from the last year from each of you and a current picture of each of you (within the last month). Send them to Shawn Bills. She really is so cute, and how fun is it to see her making distinguishable sounds!