My baby has a wonky eye.
I took V and Roxy in for their 2 month appointment. Veronica is now weighing in at 9lb 12 oz and is 22.5 inches. (15th and 20th percentile!) and Roxy is my lightweight at 8lb 6 oz and 21.5 inches and is actually showing up on the percentile chart which has not happened before. Both are healthy and doing normal 2 month old stuff--- starting to smile and coo, which is to mean that they are making noises other than the grunting that they are so fond of.
I had the doctor look at Roxy's eyes because despite the fact that they are big and beautiful, sometimes the left eye looks a little wonky to me. He initially looked at her and said that they were probably OK, but then turned the lights off and shone a little flashlight in her eyes and noticed that they were not tracking the same. He set me up with an appointment with an eye doctor and they got me right in. That new doc was able to confirm that her eyes weren't tracking right, in fact, she would switch from using one eye to the other when focusing on things and he could tell me which eye she was using because it would engage and the other one would slightly float out. Oh dear.
But I guess eye-wonki-ness is not too uncommon and not too hard to fix. We're just going to wait until she is 4 months old adjusted age (so a little over 5 months old in real time) and see if it has corrected itself. Some muscle or another that is in charge of eye control takes until about 4 months old to develop. Doc said that he wouldn't be surprised if her eyes did not correct by then, but it might happen. So in October, he will dilate her eyes and figure out how her vision is. (don't ask me how this works, it has something to do with reflection and figuring out if she is farsighted or something but I am guessing it doesn't involve reading an eye chart). Then we either need glasses or eye surgery. From talking to the doc, it seems like the surgery is more likely. I'm okay with that; glasses just sound like one more thing I could lose or break. They would do the surgery up north before the end of the year. It sounds pretty routine and non-invasive, both very good things, so I am not too concerned.
So until then, we're calling her "Roxy Left-Eye Weston" and still finding her cute as ever. (And she slept from 11pm-6:30 am last night. Go Roxy! Veronica's sleeping habits, however, not as hot. Still up at 1am and 4:30 am. Clearly, Very gets VERY hungry) For those of you keeping track, it means I'm still up at 11pm, 1am, 4:30am and 6am. Yawwwwnnnnnnn . . .

Here's Very-- looking not so very cute. I didn't have one good picture of her solo from last week, so instead, here is one with a little attitude. Say "Blechhh"!
9 comments:
Isaac has had a wonky eye since about a year old. We have always asked eye docs about surgery and every one (about 8 of them so far) of them say NO! I wonder how Isaac's eyes are different than Roxy's or Sabra's? He has a tracking problem, too. Weird. I hope it's just something that fixes itself! We worried about the glasses thing, too (broken or lost), but Isaac, luckily, took right to them. He knew he could see better with them than without them even at 18 months old! Shawn
They are beautiful Sarah. I still can't get over how much little Roxy looks like her dad...holy cow! So, so cute.
At least you can still look past the wonky-eyedness! They both are soooooo cute!
We're also well acquainted with eye doctors and specialists - in fact, Adri was seen for a 1 year follow-up for her eye surgery by a doctor here in Vegas. The doctor was super nice, so let me know if you need a recommendation down south!
I just love the pictures, wonkiness or not! They are the cutest.
Please remember that Sarah is not the only one up at night. I can sleep right thru the crying but a kick in the leg wakes me every time.
the sleepy look is totally in, right??? cause that is the look i am sporting now and probably for the next 6 months. :) we'll be in style together, me, sarah and el scorcho. love little v's attitude photo. such a weston already. ;)
I think Roxy's eyes are adorable. I am sure her "wonky" eye will be easily fixed. There could be worse things, right? And, hooray for sleeping through the night!! I hope Veronica follows suit very soon.
Sounds like Roxy has Sabra's same malady. Our eye Dr. is saying she'll probably have to have a 2nd surgery now, but we'll see in a couple weeks when she goes back in.
Post a Comment