Monday, August 04, 2008

Sparklies

I just managed to get all 3 girls napping at the same time. A bit of a miracle? Absolutely. And how do I use this precious time? Wasting it on the computer, of course. But I wanted to show off the newest decoration on my adorable babies-- their earrings. Madelin had her ears pierced a few months back and Meg was too chicken to get it done at the same time. She came to me a couple weeks ago and said she was ready to get it done; I figured I might as well have the twins done at the same time. I gave Janie the option of getting her ears pierced, and she responded, "Sparklies? Ouchie. No!!". I guess Madelin and Megan explained the basics of ear piercing to her before we left. The girlies cried pretty loudly after having their ears pierced and I felt like a terrible mom for about 8 minutes. Probably most moms feel bad after they see their little baby's reaction to getting the piercings, but they then don't have to pick up a second child and say, "Do it again, please??" Oh well-- like I said, I only felt bad for about 8 minutes, but what I was thinking about at the time was a book I read for book club last month, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. The book deals with the subject of foot binding and how the mothers bind their children's' feet in an effort to make them "beautiful", despite the pain and deformity that it really causes. I'm not sure (other than in the extreme) how different ear piercing is than foot binding, if you really consider the issue. But then I saw how cute they looked, which is probably what all those Chinese mothers thought too.

Mark said I should photoshop these girls around and have V pointing to Roxy, with her finger pointing in the 'check her out' pose. V probably is smiling and telling us to check out her silly sister (Rox, with her silly google eye looks), but just got her directions mixed up. Both girls are champion smilers and coo-ers now. We sat them across from each other a couple days ago and they actually acknowledged each other and started smiling and talking like crazy. It was pretty darn adorable because they really haven't paid much attention to each other up until now. I guess they are hardly ever in each other's line of sight, which is probably the reason why.

FYI- Veronica seems to be doing just fine. I pretty much have refused to dwell on or talk too much about last week's event because it would drive me crazy with worry. It's been a swell strategy, but I have had enough people ask that I probably should post that V is doing well. And that's where I would like her to stay.

6 comments:

annebabe said...

love the sparklies!! and could your twinners look much different from each other? does it unnerve you to no end when people ask you if they are identical? its like, hello people! did you look at them at all before asking that? ;) they are only alike in their absolute and thorough cuteness. :)

andrea said...

oh.my.gosh. Babies with earrings are like my favorite thing ever. They are SO unbelieveably cute. And it is crazy how they do look so different. Genetics amaze me. You are one lucky momma.

Unknown said...

Wow--they are so awake! I'm so jealous that you get to be with them every day! They're going to be so big by the time that I get to see them in real life again.

Liz said...

They are adorable but is is possibly Veronica is snagging Roxy's bottle?

The Knight Family said...

They are just the cutest!!!! That was smart to do it when they are so little. Madalynn is 7 and is so scared to get it done that she will probably be 20 before it happens!

Michelle & Steve said...

I CANNOT believe that last picture. Veronica is so chubby! It is darling. They have both changed so much - I'm so glad we get to see them once more before moving far far away!