Thursday, December 13, 2007

I Hate IHC

I have so many reasons to hate IHC:

1. They just raised my insurance rates again. This time to $620/month. And we still have a $500 deductible and 80/20 coverage and still have a separate $200 Rx deductible per person and still have a $15 co-pay.

2. My (separate and does not apply to out-of-pocket maximum) maternity deductible is $5000. Which is ridiculous, but I planned for it. Except, today they let me know that my $5000 out of pocket is not per pregnancy, but per calender year and guess who has already racked up over $1500 in pregnancy bills already?? Yes, that is me. My specialist ultrasound was $700 just by itself. I really just assumed that I covered the first 5k of pregnancy costs myself and was not worried about all the extra work-ups I've had these last couple months because I knew I would exceed the 5 grand limit anyway. Uggghh!!! I hate hate hate hate hate them.

3. Mark's knee surgery bills just came today and they are already heading towards the $15k mark. Of course, insurance will cover some, but we still owe $500 plus 20% of whatever the final ugly tally is.

4. And today I just wrote a check for $3500 for my property taxes which has nothing to do with IHC, but I still hate IHC anyway for causing me financial migraines on a day when I already had a bank account heart attack.

And you know what really bugs me? Is that all my $$$ sent to IHC and the doctors and the hospitals to pay for all that work is just subsidizing all the dum-dums and polygs that are surfing through life on medicaid and WIC and the Baby your Baby program. I am not lying when I say that rarely is there another actual paying patient at Southern Utah Women's Health Center sitting in the waiting room with me. All I see is medicaid card after medicaid card. But they don't let me walk out the door without making a delivery "prepayment", even though I'm months from delivery. I know there is some magic line there somewhere, where making more money doesn't matter anymore because you're paying 35% in taxes and astronomical insurance costs, which pretty much just brings you back down to the same salary that a savvy worker-of-the-system could bring home. Don't tell me that socialism isn't alive and well, because when I see how much moola we shell out for taxes and insurance and such, I know differently. Yes Virginia, there is a Robin Hood.

(And I still hate IHC)

8 comments:

stace said...

do you want your $13 back?

annebabe said...

don't hold back sarah, let it all out. take it to the man, baby!

farmgirl said...

Mike isn't much of a blog reader, but I had to have him read this...he says you made his day- which is really good since his days are so long right now. On a side note I love your new family pic.

saramarilee said...

IHC ist the evil empire! If we lived outside of its realm (outside of Utah), Steve could open his own P.T. clinic...but then we couldn't live here...such a frustrating situation! I hate them too!

jen said...

Yes, yes and yes to everything you said about IHC. I hated IHC and am so glad to have new insurance!!

Tara said...

Sounds like you guys could use a move to Canada! Although it is not a perfect health care system, it is SOOOO much nicer than having to deal with insurance companies! :)

El Scorcho said...

You should not post things like this where I can read them and Tara I have enough things to hate about America's stepchild without you rubbing health care in my face.

Peace on earth....except to IHC

Anonymous said...

I can sympathize...Based on this I am assuming that you have an individual plan with IHC? If so, you should really try to switch. IHC does not want individual consumers. Their insurance strategy is built around large business with many employees to drive care to their own facilities so that they can continue to write off care and talk about the great "charitiable contributions" they provide.

On a side note...I didn't know that Southern Utah Womens Health Center took Medicaid. This is Dr. Astle's office right? I know they refuse to take Medicare, refuse to sign contracts if it is included in the contract.

On a side note name the court with this ruling "Access to a waiting list is not access to care"

--Supreme Court of Quebec. Ah, the equality of having no access at all.