Saturday, January 24, 2009

Hello? Operator?

Mark and I were knee-deep into an online Mariokart race (150cc mirrored rainbow road) when I heard a deep voice repeat itself 2 times from a phone lying next to Roxy on the floor, "911, Can I help you?".

911?! My 8 month old daughter accidentally dialed 911? I was the unfortunate one racing young Japanese prodigies for Mariokart points, so Mark (clearly a generous online player) continued to race while I left Peach on her Mach-bike idling aimlessly. I grabbed the phone from Roxy and tried to tell the operator that my baby dialed 911, not me. He then had to ask me no less than 3 times if it was safe for me to speak freely. I guess if I had been held at gunpoint rather than wii-nunchuck, I would have been able to communicate my distress to the 911 operator. Good plan on his part.

After hanging up, I had to check the redial on the phone to see if Rox really did dial 911. She did. The readout looked something like this: 911G43Ds41 (Did you know you could type letters on your phone??? I had no clue how Rox managed this feat.) I know cell phones can manage alpha-numerical, but I thought my traditional land line was numbers-only please.

5 minutes later I received a call from the Ivins' police, checking in on me. They also came by my house to talk to me and check in that everything was okay. Good for the police; it must have been a slow Saturday because their response time to a infant-crank-call was fantastic. I AM glad they are so on the ball but equally embarrassed that my child was the cause of their wasted time.
Rox, Rox, Roxy. Lay off the 911 calls; and brush up on your texting.

6 comments:

annebabe said...

i guess now its time to tell you that roxy calls me several times a day just to chat. we shoot the breeze, talk about the weather, you know, small talk really. ;) but today sarah, she was trying to call the i'm-addicted-to-mariokart-hotline. she's a gifted child i do say so myself.

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see what she's like as a teenager!

farmgirl said...

Mariokart-hotline, Anne? Too funny! I'm guessing if ANY one needs it- it's the Weston's. Maybe we can search out a Mariokart Anonymous we can hook them up with-- "Hi, I'm a Weston, and I'm addicted to Mariokart."

El Scorcho said...

I don't have a problem. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

jen said...

Oh my gosh. That is hilarious. Thanks for making my day with that little story!

staci said...

What a funny, yet a little embarassing story. I would have been mortified to have the cops show up to make sure everything was ok.

Are the Weston's up for a little Mario Kart competition with the Barlow's? We are in whenever you are! :)