Friday, June 29, 2007

Home Page Woes

I need to change my husband's home page-- I have noticed that he changed it a couple weeks ago to this: www.steepandcheap.com\ but I think he is finding it a bit too tempting. I don't go out of my way to read Mark's email, but when I go into his office to use his computer (when mine has been commandeered by the girls), his Outlook is usually open and I can easily read the addresses and title lines of his incoming mail. Too often they read: "something or other com" and "your payment was received". Mark came a little late to the internet party, but over the last few years he certainly got the hang of online shopping. He almost exclusively buys bike stuff and sports gear, but I think he is a little prone to impulse shopping. Thus the 'steepandcheap' ban. That website just pushes all the right (wrong??) buttons with Mark. First of all, it is usually outdoor gear or shoes. Secondly, they create a sense of anxiety because they only sell one thing until it is gone, and advertise it as amazingly discounted (maybe it is, maybe it's not, but it is presented that way). And finally, did I mention that they are usually selling sunglasses or jackets or shoes? Of course I did, but it is worth mentioning again because if you do not know of Mark's addiction to sunglasses and shoes and jackets, you should. He is an absolute sucker for a new jacket, even though we live in St. George. I honestly thought his jacket-love would decrease when we moved here, given that a jacket is only appropriate for about 2 months of the year, but I was dead wrong. The sunglasses-affair has only intensified (I try to compensate by only buying $10 or less glasses for myself) and the shoes has been a constant throughout our marriage. His first gift to me was a pair of shoes and shoes remain the only item of clothing that Mark will still purchase for me. (I just got a new pair of runners for mother's day).

So . . . in the interest of curbing national spending, I'm considering the homepage change. Too controlling??

3 comments:

El Scorcho said...

Apparently I need to defend myself. First of all I have steep and cheap as my homepage because it loads really fast. If I recall Sarah blasted my last home page(mtbr.com) for being really slow to load so I only changed to make her happy.
I will concede the point of my infatuation with with shoes/sunglasses/jackets but I offset that with not having paid for a hair cut in 14 yrs of marriage.
BTW I don't like her homepage either.....even though I don't know what it is.

andrea said...

who knew Mark and I had so much in common?

Cracking up about hating Sarah's homepage too...:0)

stace said...

are there some deeper underlying issues here??