
Janie is starting to crawl. Well, sort of. She hasn't exactly mastered pushing up on her knees, not that she can't do it; she just won't stay there. But- she'll motor across the room, sniper style, and is this close to pulling herself up to a sitting position from her tummy. All it takes is a little nudge from me, so I expect she'll get there on her own quite soon. Jane hasn't been my quickest kid off the blocks when it comes to crawling, but since I know hitting the milestones early pretty much means next to nothing (otherwise Madelin would be a Olympic track star already), I didn't think about it too much. Until a couple Sunday's ago.
It was a beautiful Sunday morning; my baby was happily sitting in the church foyer, babbling and being just darn adorable. A neighbor walked in with her little baby girl and sat her down next to Janie. This little baby was crawling already and kept trying to climb up onto Jane's lap. (Jane's response was to growl at her; typical Jane.) The growls kept the other baby at bay, but the crawling/climbing attempts continued. As we watched the babies, the other mom said, "Boy, Jane is sure big. My baby used to be big like that, but now she is leaning out." Then she added, "Is Jane crawling yet?" "No", I answered. "Is she even pushing herself around?" "Ummmm . . . no, not yet. But she sure does roll all over". Then came the kicker . . . . my neighbor then asked me, "Wasn't your baby born just three days after mine????" I didn't have much to say at that point. How do you answer that? She just called my baby fat and slow!
But Jane is motoring now, so THERE 'fat & slow' !!!
Monday, June 18, 2007
So THERE . . . fat & slow
Posted by
Sarah
at
10:00 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I would take fat and slow anyday if it looked like Jane. She is so cute...and you are so right... There are no awards for hitting baby milestones before your baby peers...just parents proud of something that all babies do within a 10 month window anyway. I find it all kind of bizarre.
ummm...don't even get me started on that mother.
Are you talking? My baby is almost a month older than yours and he is still not crawling! When I asked the Doctor what is wrong with him he openly laughed in my face....so I guess he is okay. So, here I am up north trying to be fine with the fact that all his cousins (younger and older) are crawling everywhere and Gil just sits and looks at them like "what". So my baby is fat and slow!
Post a Comment