Tuesday, January 22, 2008

MA in Cleaning Sciences

I'm not sure why I majored in math-- I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time cleaning floors. Surely a degree in floor management or laundry sortment would have served me better at this stage in life. I wish I got a kick out of cleaning (shout out to MaryAnn), but I just don't. Certainly this must be a common issue among women; my floor cannot be the only magnet for cheerios and red dirt and who-knows-what. I just don't get why one sweeping a day can't keep the floor relatively clean????? The need to sweep should not be measured by hours. It is 10:30 and I have swept twice already. (Once to clean the kitchen and again after Janie dumped a box of cereal on the floor) She's currently down for a nap, so I am safe from crumbs for the moment.

I did get pretty ambitious and did my kitchen blinds today. We've lived in this house for a year and I have never touched them before. Someone else clearly had, because there were tracks of fingerprints painted in the dust adorning those wooden slats. The dusty prints (or actually-- lack of dust in a print shape, because the rest of the blind still retained it's thick dust-primer) have been bugging me for a while, but my will to tackle the job was lacking. I started a half-hearted effort just to tone down the amount of dust, but then came to the conclusion that I since I probably wasn't going to touch the blinds for another year, I might want to do the job properly. So now they are shiny and (mostly) dust free--- except for all the slats from about 3/4 of the way up because I couldn't reach them. Yes- I probably could have pulled a step-stool over, but I just didn't do it. I figured Anne is the only one who could call me out on my height-challenged cleaning and she is just too nice to ever point it out to me. Yesterday, I dusted the top of the entertainment center and was pretty disgusted by the mung collected up there. Mark mentioned that Anne probably sees it every time she comes over and it is probably that comment that embarrassed me enough to try to dust other dirt-magnets in the house. But- I wasn't motivated enough to tackle the family room blinds. 2009, maybe??

I did get a kick out my use of furniture polish these last couple days. Pledge is about the only cleaning product that I don't mind using. It makes everything so shiny and lemony; pretty and yum. I polished my granite; I polished all the stainless steel; I polished my stove top; I polished my table; I even polished my sink. Love the Pledge. I only stopped the Pledge-o-rama when Janie got ahold of the bottle, wiped whatever pledgy-residue remaining on the nozzle on her hands and started rubbing it all over her face. Ahhhh . . . she's a Pledge girl too.

2 comments:

stace said...

(insert heavy sigh) laundry.

jen said...

I should be cleaning right now but it is much more fun to sit lazily in front of my computer and read about you cleaning your house.

I really had no idea that you could polish granite and stainless steel with Pledge. I have some in my cupboard. Maybe I will put it to good use today...or maybe tomorrow..