Monday, February 04, 2008

Happy Birthday Mark!

Happy Birthday to the person who pretty much turned out to be the best decision of my entire life. 37 years old today, but I can't say I think of him much differently than back in 1994. Still has the blue blue eyes; still has the little scar on his chin.
I know most of you have pretty great husbands, but you got to admit, mine's quite the catch. Why did I marry him? Basically because he is my supernova; a perfect storm of everything I could have ever asked for. About 12 years ago, for Valentines Day, I made Mark a batch of 100 notecards that answered the question, "I love you because . . . ." I still have a few left; I wish I knew where they all were, but I do know it wasn't difficult to fill all those cards. Here's what I wrote back then:

I love you
. . . because you are quiet when you come to bed and I am already asleep.
. . . because we both agree that pets are a bad idea.
. . . because you always compliment me.
. . . because you take my side against my sister.
. . . because you fix me such large bowls of ice cream.

All still true, even today. There were a ton more; I wish I could find them. But it is probably time to make a whole new batch anyway. Happy Birthday Mark.


January 1994- at my parent's house in Seattle. We had decided to get engaged, but didn't tell anyone for about a week.

March 15, 1997. Mark-a brand new dad- holding Madelin at the hospital.

1997- Mark's very first mountain bike. I think it was a low-budget Trek. He has since moved on to progressively more boutique gear over the last decade. The evolution from Trek to GT to Turner to Turner to possible Niner (mountain biking) and Specialized to Pinarello (road biking) has been probably his finest obsession (other than myself) of his life.

March 1998. Madelin would have nothing to do with me this particular Sunday. She would scream and squirm and run away from me . . . and then Mark stepped in and suddenly all was right with the world. All my girls just adore him and Madelin was the first to start that trend.


October 2000-- and it was our 2nd annual corn maze visit. Mark never seemed to obey any of the rules of the maze; chucking corn cobs at others was modeled behavior at each visit.

(That was certainly no comprehensive photo-log of Marco, but it covers the first few years just fine. Plus, scanning is a pain. Love the digital nation!)

6 comments:

Michelle & Steve said...

I think this is my most favorite birthday post I've seen in the blogging world. I'm probably a little biased though - I like Mark quite a bit. The old pictures are great...I remember those days when Maddie and Megan were so LITTLE, but I think I'd forgotten just how darling they were - so cute!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARK!

andrea said...

how cute are little baby Maddie and Megan?

jen said...

Happy Birthday Mark!! Those are some great photographs! Mark looks so young (I mean he looks exactly the same:)).

Sarah, I finally got to see a photo of you with your super short hair. I have heard the story about you chopping it before the wedding, I just never saw a pic!! Cute.

Robyn Lamoreaux said...

Happy Birthday Mark! I meant to call, but I lost my train of thought when I saw that sweet Pet Shop Boyes haircut at your wedding...I just want to know if you still have the leather belt?
Bob

Lynette and Anthony said...

Happy Birthday Mark!! I agree with you Sarah, you did get a pretty good catch! Those were fun pictures :)

Barb & Sean said...

We love you, Mark! & we love you, Sarah, among other things, for loving Mark! He is a pretty great guy!