It's my turn for book club this month and this is the book I picked:
My mom originally passed the book onto me and told me it was 'fantastic'. I agreed. The book is a gothic-type mystery; a little Jane Eyre-like, a little Rebecca-like. Any book with a mysterious estate and governess is always a must read for me. All the Victoria Holt novels that I read as a girl shaped that literary bent. The Thirteeth Tale just came out 2 weeks ago in paperback, which is perfect timing for November book club. Recently published hardback books are usually hard to come by and $$$ to purchase and generally annoysome when picked for book club. I enjoyed the book even better the 2nd time through because I knew the 'mystery' and was able to pick up on all the hints and clues along the way. One of my favorite parts of the book is where the main character falls sick and the doctor diagnosis's her. I can't write about it, because no one has read the book yet, but I just love that part. You're just going to have to read it to find out more because I cannot cleverly discuss a book in my blog without very uncleverly revealing waaay too much. So I'll just hold my tongue (for now).
Sunday, October 21, 2007
The Thirteenth Tale
Posted by
Sarah
at
7:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I am soo glad you didn't spoil it. I almost stopped reading the post because I thought you might. I couldn't find it at Costco. It was probably there but that place was mobbed. I requested one from the library instead. Can't wait to read it!
Thanks for the book recommendation, it sounds great. Also, let me know if you figure out any other great solutions to the lunch dilemma - I hate figuring that one out too. The only time lunch is exciting is when you have some great left-overs from the night before. AND - I read your bedpan story - hilarious! I'm still laughing!
i'm excited to read it, i'm all over the goveness/estate theme. :)
Love a good book. The last couple you choose we not my all time favorites, so hopefully you will make up for it this time.
I am reading and loving it already. I used to be such an avid reader and now I can barely wrap my brain around a magazine. This book is kind of rekindling that love of reading for me...it's so good!
Post a Comment