Jane has slept through the night the last 4 nights in a row. I don't want to jump to conclusions and I am not declaring "My child sleeps through the night" just yet; I'm going to consider it a lucky fluke until a serious pattern emerges, just so I don't get my hopes up. Mark was out of town Wed-Sat nights and I decided to do an experiment. Jane has been escaping her swaddle for quite a while now and I thought maybe she wanted to be a little more 'free' at night, so I dressed her in a blanket sleeper and put her down. She was up twice that night. Then I pulled out the "miracle blanket" (a purchase I made back in August). The miracle blanket is a special swaddle blanket that pretty much straight-jackets the kid into the swaddle; it is supposed to help infants sleep longer. I tried it when Jane was a newborn; it was too big and difficult to use. I tried it when Jane was 2 months old and it didn't seem to make any difference at all in her sleep times. I decided to give it one more shot on Thursday night. That night Jane slept from 7:30 pm to 6 am. The next night 9:30-7 (she had some wacky naps due to shots that day); and then the next two nights 7:30 pm- 5:30 or 6 am again. Miracle blanket?? Maybe . . . Waking up at 6 is an awkward time for me because I truly want to go to sleep again after that but it is difficult because it is already morning, but I can't complain too much over that. Even if this doesn't pan out as a permanent sleep schedule, I am grateful because I know that sleep begets sleep, meaning, the more Jane does sleep through the night (accidentally or not), the more likely it is that she does it in the future. So it looks like we've turned a corner . . . now if she could just get a regular nap schedule down. I keep wondering when that happens. It is still 1 hour here, 2 hours there, seemingly all over the place. All I remember is that both Meg and Madelin took two 2-hour naps a day up until age 2-3 and then took a 2 hour nap after lunch until kindergarten. I don't remember when the whole 2 naps a day pattern emerged. Any help on that?
1 comment:
you should start trying the baby whisperer stuff. she gives a good guideline on all that sleeping stuff. I can't remember the specifics anymore so I have to refresh too. I think Jane is still young enough that she will sleep three times during the day, but I am just guessing. Keep a journal so that when I get there I can ask you and you can refer back. I should have done that myself.
Post a Comment