Sunday, January 21, 2007

So slow

I finally just gave up and got a dial-up account for my internet. The cable company has yet to return my call and let me know when I would actually have service here. I figure that is not a good sign. So . . . I am trying to make due with this dial up, but it feels like I'm slugging through quicksand as I navigate between webpages now. It is frustrating. It is weird that I managed to do my whole masters degree online using dial-up. I was crazy.

I am also running into email issues. Charter has been bought by Orange communications and just emailed me to let me know that my charter email address will be disappearing next month. They then proceeded to give me directions to set up the new email account BUT- their directions do not work. I'm not an email idiot; I'm setting it up correctly. From the error message, it looks like the issue is on their end, however, it is just one more call I have to make to resolve an issue that I didn't create. I also now need to change the forwarding address for my byu email alias; however, their website will not let me navigate to the page that will allow me to do this. So there's another call I need to make. All these internet related difficulties are giving me a headache.

Madelin spoke in primary today. Oddly enough, they leave the talks until the end of sharing time. Madelin had about a 5 minute talk, but they didn't call her up to talk until after the 2nd bell rung (meaning, 2 PM, quittin' time). I have never taught her how to abbreviate a talk when time is short, so she just went on and on and on. It was a good talk, but the primary leaders just didn't leave any time for the talk and scriptures. They were still doing singing time up to the second bell; not sure why. I felt a little dumb as a mother having my child keeps everybody late after church but it wasn't Madelin's fault that there wasn't any time left for her. She pretty much just read her talk, but she speaks clearly and at a good speed, which I am glad to see. I like to see my kids comfortable with public speaking because I think it is a very useful skill.

Tom taught gospel doctrine today and he was really funny. Had the whole room rolling with some of his comments. It makes me wish I was a bit more funny myself when I taught, but really, it is not something you can force. I think I can be entertaining, but I don't think I have a lot of natural comedic talent. It is probably a good thing that Tom, Denise and I are such different teachers because is gives some good variety to the class. Nothing is worse than hearing the same voice each week; teaching with the same mannerisms, the same cadence, the same methods. I don't teach again for another 2 weeks; I am enjoying this schedule. On an related church note, we arrived at church only 5 minutes early and ended up sitting on the hard chairs. It (honestly) has been over 2 years since we have ended up on the hard chairs; we've made it a habit of leaving 20 or 15 minutes early to get a bench (on the left side of the chapel, of course). I wasn't even feeling rushed today; I am not sure why we didn't make it out the door at the right time. After sitting in the back--hard chairs and echoing gym floor and all--I will be extra sure we make it early enough to get a bench again.

2 comments:

B & J Weston said...

Love your Blog Sarah. I hope to some time get as good as you are on this.
Love,
Joanne

Barb & Sean said...

Oh, dial up! As I read over your nightmares, I sure hope we won't have to deal with the same ones!