Thursday, December 21, 2006

. . . and sometimes "y"

I was listening to Mark sing some silly made-up song to Jane, and in the song, he spelled her name out "J-A-N-E-Y". I asked him how he spelled her name and he repeated the same. The problem (minor as it is) is that I have not been spelling her name that way. I have been using "J-A-N-I-E". Mark defended his position by pointing out that with his way, all you do is add a "y"; with my spelling, it changes up the whole word. I guess I'm open to change; the mantle of mother probably doesn't include the right to decide the spelling of nicknames. So will it be "Janey" or "Janie"; I don't know, but I better figure it out so that I don't have the consistency issue that came up these last few years with Madelin---because, believe it or not, this is the second time a "y" has come up in our family names.

I have always written "Maddie"--in journals, letters, presents, etc. Last year Madelin came home from school and on the top of her page was written "Maddy". I told her that her name was not spelled that way. In typical Madelin spirit, she told me that she liked it better with a "y" and it was her name anyway. OOOKKKaaay. Pointless to argue with that.

So to avoid a repeat of the above, it may just stay "Janey".
"Y"?? Because we love her.

4 comments:

Rebekah B. said...

I like Janie...but that's because my great grandma Jane Butterfield went by Grandma Janie.

stace said...

Wow, that is confusing. I think how you spell it looks prettier, but Mark does have a point. Coming from someone with a name that no one has ever, or will ever spell right, I say, go with the more common version, for her sake. It will relieve the frustration that comes with always having to correct people.

Really, I don't know which is the more common way, but Janie would be my guess.

Sarah said...

That's kind of what I think-- I like Janie better; more feminine or something. I never even considered using a y before Mark. I'm going to have to think this one out because I'm much more comfortable with my spelling. Really, though, this is not that big of a deal; I 'm sure there are much more important decisions I need to make!

Dan said...

I think that in the end you might just have to give in to however she wants it spelled, like with Maddy(Maddie). I know with me it was always Daniel, but then with my friends I thought that it sounded too long, so I shortened it to Dan,(even with all the persecution from the sisters) and so it's always been that way. The rule being, no matter what you have planned for your kids I think they'll always fit it to their needs/likes.