Friday, December 29, 2006

Moving Day

I'm sitting here waiting for the moving guys to show up. Today is moving day! We have always moved ourselves before (with neighbor help). Never had actual moving guys. It will be interesting to see how this goes today. I'm hoping they're pretty quick because we pay them by the hour--they main guy said he thought it would be about 5 hours. I always get a little anxious when we move because the bulk (or actually-- ALL) of the packing is on me. After all the big stuff and boxes get moved, I get to walk through the house and see everything I missed. Mark keeps telling me that there isn't any actual hurry since no one is waiting to move it, but I can't leave the house mostly empty with scattered junk for long, because that will be just when someone comes to see it. My job today is to direct moving guys in the old house; Mark is manning the new. Over in the new house, the carpet in the great room still needs to be stretched and pounded in (great . . . I have couches and furniture to go in that room--that guy had better be quick!). T Jack is over there right now putting together the theater; which needs to be done before the satellite guys show up and the rest of the concrete is being poured in the backyard, right in the way of the moving guys. Adam was installing some wood for the bench 'seats' in the great room and after majorly dinging the wall (ouch)he then told Mark that he didn't have the finish pieces yet and it would be about a week. So now there are unfinished wood edges in the middle of the great room; not too good looking for my party. Yeah-- it is going pretty smoothly so far . . . On a good note, I just went over and toured the house (cleaners were there for 11 hours yesterday!) and the rest of it looks fantastic. Mark looked over and saw that Travis had parked on the driveway and was perturbed . . . said "That driveway had not been driven/parked on yet!!!" I thought that was a little unreasonable since it is called a DRIVEWAY. But-- part of the deco/stained concrete had not been sealed yet, so Mark does have a good point; however, unless he blocks it off, other people wouldn't know that he wants them OFF HIS DRIVEWAY. Funny what bugs people. As for the girls, Jane is just waking up for the festivities, Meg has disappeared over at the neighbors and I have already made Madelin cry (apparently, I'm the "worst mom ever"). Am I the only one who has to arbitrate fights over bouncy balls????

2 comments:

Barb & Sean said...

Did you get moved in OK? How was the New Year's party?

Sarah said...

We're all moved in, though not unpacked! My priority was getting the old house clean and ready to show so that we can get this one sold.